Live fish removed from boy's lung
August 30, 2012, 14:25 GMT
Doctors in India have operated to remove a live fish from the lung of a 12-year-old boy.
Anil Barela swallowed the 9cm fish while playing on a riverside with friends in the Khargone district of Madhya Pradesh state.
The Times of India says boys commonly swallow live fish - but this one went down the wrong way and entered the boy's left lung.
Anil soon started feeling short of breath and was x-rayed after the oxygen levels in his blood dropped alarmingly.
Doctors decided on immediate surgery and removed the fish in a 45 minute operation.
Dr Pramod Jhawar, chest specialist and bronchoscope expert, said it was the first case of its kind he had come across in 20 years.
"The fish was live and taking its last breath when the bronchoscopy was done, restricting the functioning of both the lungs resulting in low intake of oxygen," he said.
): Have Your Say >>
The woman who carried a fetus in her body for 60 years
The male animal that becomes pregnant and gives birth
Rich Chinese couples paying as much as $120,000 for 'designer' American babies
99-year-old woman gets high school diploma
Public masturbation declared legal in Sweden after landmark trial
Man cuts off his testicles with scissors
Georgia man's obituary: 'He attracted more women than a shoe sale at Macy's'
Thieves rob prison in Italy
Teacher gives birth in classroom
'Man who couldn't get AIDS' commits suicide at 66
Tools & Features
Audio on Demand
Joyonline on Twitter
Joyonline on Facebook
Joyonline on Youtube
Advertise with Us
© Copyright 2012 Myjoyonline.com All Rights Reserved.