Two-month-old baby suffocated to death by parents
December 12, 2012, 15:15 GMT
A baby died while sleeping between parents who had been drinking before they took the infant to bed with them.
Midwives had warned the mother - who has not been named - about the risks of sleeping beside her baby - but she admitted she repeatedly ignored their advice.
The details of the tragic case were revealed in a report to Coventry City Council.
The baby - named only as Child W - was born healthy in May 2011.
However, the mother ignored the 'safe sleeping' advice she was given before she left hospital and regularly slept with the baby between her and her partner.
she woke to find the baby had stopped breathing and called an ambulance, but paramedics could not save the child.
Officials launched a full investigation as the parents were known to social services.
The child had not been taken into care but staff decided to carry out a further family assessment.
Last week the city's safeguarding children board published its report, which found the tragedy could not have been prevented.
But health chiefs say this was not an isolated tragedy and are warning parents against putting their babies to bed next to them.
Across Coventry and Warwickshire 27 babies have died in their parents' beds since 2008.
): Have Your Say >>
Acting DG of prisons service firm on introducing non-custodial sentencing for minor offenses
Fighting corruption in Ghana: Blueprint exists but will lacking - Emile Short
DOVVSU arrests 3 in bizarre forced marriage saga of 13-year-old girl
GYEEDA investigations: Don’t rubbish committee’s ongoing work – Minister
Unicom Chemist launches TENA healthcare products for bladder weakness
Gov’t must scrap GYEEDA - IMANI
Robbing the State: The case of GYEEDA
Update: Minor fire at GCB Tower quelled
Sad: 13-year-old boy dies of electrocution
Kumasi Central Market risks another fire outbreak
Tools & Features
Audio on Demand
Joyonline on Twitter
Joyonline on Facebook
Joyonline on Youtube
Advertise with Us
© Copyright 2012 Myjoyonline.com All Rights Reserved.