Home > Local News
 
School Feeding Programme is not collapsing- Deputy Coordinator
From: Ghana | GNA          Published On: November 30, 2012, 05:12 GMT
 
  Comments ()     Email     Print  

     
 




School Feeding Programme is not collapsing- Deputy Coordinator
Mr Eric Antwi, Deputy National Coordinator of the School Feeding Programme, has denied that the programme is collapsing and urged Ghanaians to disregard the rumours.

He said the programme under the National Democratic Congress (NDC) administration has within three years exceeded its target of 1,040,000 and is now serving more than 1,592,388 children nationwide.

According to Mr Antwi, when the NDC assumed power the programme was serving 587,626 children.

He indicated that Ashanti Region, which was previously serving 154,978 now has 310,347, Brong-Ahafo has increased 87,632 to 1893,653, Central Region from 40,198 to 89,047, Eastern Region from 47,547 to 114,719 and Greater Accra from 121,301 to 189,144 pupils.

Others are: Northern Region from 33,699 to 179,642, Upper West Region from 116,087 to 161,657, Upper East Region from 194,028 to 1,131,25, Volta Region from 28,084 to 115,977 and Western Region from 43,452 to 134,877 pupils.

Mr Antwi made this known during a briefing to Eastern Regional Multi Sectorial Committee on children’s quarterly meeting in Koforidua.

He said contrary to perceptions that the programme is collapsing it has been expanded and re-targeted.

He said the focus of the programme is to boost enrollment and retention in the basic schools.

On the issue of the quality of food served to the children, Mr Antwi said every district has a menu chart, which was drafted by experts including caterers and health personnel and all caterers are bound to follow the menu.

He said the caterers are supposed to serve the children with food which are common in their communities.

Mr Antwi spoke of plans in the future to add fruits to the menu to help address cases of malnutrition in the regions.


Comments ( ): Have Your Say >>