Home > Local News
 
Doctors threaten to quit Ho
Published On: August 11, 2008, 00:00 GMT
 
  Comments ()     Email     Print  

     
 




Three doctors and the accountant of the Ho Regional Hospital have become the latest victims in a wave of burglaries that have hit the Volta Regional capital over the past two weeks.

As a result of the attacks, some of the health workers and other staff have indicated their intentions to evacuate their families to Accra and elsewhere in apparent fear of further burglaries.

The recent cases of burglary come at a time when information is said to have been intercepted by security agencies that some armed robbers have shifted their operation camps to the Volta Regional capital with their targets being banks and filling stations.

The doctors think that they are also potential victims as security sources have confirmed that such information had been received.

A couple of months ago, doctors at the same hospital threatened to go on mass transfers, citing burglary on a member of their colleagues while they were attending to duty at night.

Despite the assurance by the Volta Regional Police Command that they had detailed men to patrol the medical village area where the doctors live, the burglary has resumed.

In the recent attacks, Dr Lord Mensah, a paediatrician at the hospital, was called to attend to an emergency at midnight but in his absence, the robbers attacked his residence, looted his property and even went to the extent of making away with items belonging to his kids who were then sleeping in their bedroom.

The other victims are Dr Hilarious Abiwu, the National Spokesperson for Junior Doctors Association, Mr Justice Ahorlu, the Regional Accountant of the Volta Regional Hospital, and Dr Emmanuel Abgeme, who was lucky enough to have repelled the attack when he raised the alarm.

In view of the threat to their lives, the doctors have decided to seek mass transfers if nothing is done about the situation.

Meanwhile, police sources say three suspects have been arrested and are assisting in investigations.

The Regional Police Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Bernard Dery, said the police were on top of the situation and that a police station was being constructed in the area to help combat the menace.



Comments ( ): Have Your Say >>